Friends, family, extended fam, as well as family I never talk to, much
less email. I sent out the link 2 weeks ago when we first "went
global", but I thought I'd send it out periodically just to remind them.
Anyhoo, the next morning I get this twelve, paragraph, email from my
great aunt. {Short story on her is they tried for 12 years to get pg
and due to the lack of treatment options back then they adopted} I
should also mention that she is very meladramatic{sp?} and super
charismatic} Of course, she said something along the lines of us
looking into adoption, not really forcing it on us, but definitely
advocating it. She went on to tell me about family memories of when we
{my sister & I} stayed with her when we were little. I don't even
remember that. And how, if it's okay with us, she wants to add us as a
request to her prayer team. And then she finished up the lengthy email
with this girl she knows{who's about the same age as me} who also has
had/or is about to have IVF. And how her and her husband have been
having a tough time going through IF and she would love to introduce
them to us, "because we have so much in common, and she just knows
we'd get along and be good friends." She also tried to tell me that I
would probably want to switch to this girl's RE because he/she is so
great. Um, I don't think so!
I talked with J and this is what I replied with.....
"Hi K! Thank you for your email and concern. J and I have put much
thought into pursuing IVF and we feel that is what's right for us. I
have always wanted to experience pregnancy and we would love to have
the chance of our child having daddy's eyes and mommy's nose. We are
not against adoption by any means, and we are not saying that we would
never do it, we are just not in that place now. We have already done
IVF once and if we can raise/save enough money we hope to do it again
at the end of this year. It has been over two years since we did it
and we are more than ready to try again. We are fine with you adding
us as a prayer request either spoken or unspoken it makes no
difference to us. It's always nice to know people are praying for you
especially since this is a very trying time. It has been extremely
difficult for me to keep faith with losing my brother and going
through all of this at the same time. I'm sure your friend C is a
wonderful person and I hate that she is going through all of this. I
wouldn't wish infertility on anyone. However, we are not really
comfortable with meeting them. Though, thank you for thinking of us."
I'm now feeling bad for saying I don't want to meet this girl. I don't
know what I would do if I didn't have all of you ladies to chat with.
And what would it really hurt me if I were to just give her my number.
She might not have a support system, like I do. I dunno. J and I just
thought it was really weird of my aunt to want us to all meet up. Like
just because we both have IF we are going to become best of friends or
something. Maybe I should give her my number and go from
there....Maybe I did the right thing....Maybe I'm thinking too much
about it. *sigh*
I don't think you should worry about what you said. It is so weird that people think that just because IF is in common that people would be the best of friends. If you are feeling badly about it, you could always email her back and tell her that you've been thinking about it and you'd be okay with sharing an email address. Chances are, this other couple might be just as weirded out about being introduced to you as you are to them.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Robin maybe you should exchange emails and go from there.
ReplyDeleteWhat Robin said.
ReplyDelete(hugs)
Do what you feel comfortable with. I can understand not feeling comfortable about being set up to be friends with someone just because your aunt thinks you will get along. It kinds of sounds like the friend version of a blind date. However, you never know: you might actually get along great and become a great support and comfort for eachother.
ReplyDelete