Monday, February 8, 2010

Update from today's RE visit

It's been raining cats & dogs since last night and sure enough, still raining when I leave for my appt. So it normally takes me a hour to get to my RE's office(on dry roads). Today, I woke up late, so I left late but somehow made it in 45 mins!! Not exactly sure how that is even possible, sure I was speeding a little, but not that much. Plus, along with the down-pour there were also some mild issues of flooded areas. :< I was so NOT impressed. Any other Dr, I would have rescheduled my appt to a different, (dryer) day, but not my RE!

On to the appt details.......Basically, he didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. :( Except the part where DH will have to do another SA, since it's been over 2 years. WAU-Waaaauuuuu I said, DH is going to be delighted to hear that, not! He did say that sometimes un-used meds are returned or the pharmacy donates meds and that he could offer me some of those to keep the cost down a little. Other than that, the only thing he said he would do differently, would be to stimulate my ovaries a little more so that I could produce a greater number of eggs.

So we have two options:

Door #1 is offering an IVF C for the rough estimate of $10,000(ten, ten, thousand, thousand, thousand, then the word dollars fading into the echo) All that is done with this option is, regular IVF w/ICSI and the possibility of freezing the leftovers should there be any of that quality.

not to be out done...


Door #2 offers an exciting, multi-faceting, more expensive option that lands us around $25,000(twenty-five what?!?!? the echo can't even fathom this amount) However, this option has more to offer, with 3 fresh cycles, and up to 3 FET's. AND, the most important factor of all, if no "live birth" has taken place after all C's, 80% of the cost is refunded! But, keep in mind, if pregnancy were to occur after the 1st C, you have then paid way more than door #2 was offering in the first place and you cannot use those other C's to TTC siblings.

Needless to say, DH & I have A LOT of talking, and discussing and probly some more talking to do. So those are my choices, What do you think? What would you do? What are the pro's & con's that you see with these 2 options?

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! That is a really hard choice and I have NO IDEA what I would do in your shoes. I guess I would probably lean towards the $25K one, depending on your options for payment... Sorry, I'm not much help! Good luck, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's tough. I'm thinking that I'd go for the $25K plan too since it has a refund option but it would suck for it to work on the first try. Sorry I'm not much help either. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugg, that is so hard to decide! I sure hope that you are able to figure some thing out soon. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I could even begin to think about it! That's too much to take in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it were me, and I *did* think about this, I would get a loan and do the 25K one......

    It really is a shame that Americans have to spend so much on fertility treatments and most people can't afford them. It just isn't right.

    I would do every research out there to find special loans or even out-of-state clinics that may be cheaper?

    Sorry J. That really is rediculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh god that is expensive. I had no idea. I am still in shock to even be able to say which one sounds the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness! Either option is so expensive! If opt 1 doesn't work, you'd regret not doing opt 2. Maybe they're counting on you being so excited if it works the first time with opt.2 that you wouldn't mind haveing spent the extra money?

    I hope you & your DH are able to figure something out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so hard!! I hope you are able to have a good conversation with your DH and able to make decision!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there a Door #3 ???? I hope and pray that you came come to a decision on this. Tough call. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks ladies. I haven't really had time to talk to DH about all of this, not in depth anyways.

    When they were going over the details of the 25k (shared risk plan) she said that another pt did this and got PG on the first C with TRIPLETS!!!! At least she got her money's worth, in a round about way. =)

    ReplyDelete

I prefer you to make mistakes in kindness than work miracles in unkindness. ~ Mother Teresa & me