Monday, November 9, 2009

Am I over-reacting?

My anut sent me a message asking for my address so she could mail me an invitation to her granddaughter's baby shower. Okay, no prob there I knew she was preggo, so it didn't bother me too much. I figured it was only a matter of time before i got an invite & had to deal with it! Then, my aunt says that her and my mom are giving the shower and it's gonna be at my mom's house. Still trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, I figure mom's house is big, we got a big family, okay kinda makes sense. Well, this afternoon I was at my mom's and she says, "I better tell you something before you hear it from someone else." So I piped in and said, yeah, the baby shower? And she says, "I didn't have a choice on having it here". So I'm thinking, my aunt asked to have it there or something. But no, that's not the case, instead mom offered to have the shower at her house. Then, she tells me not too feel like I have to come, cause that's what she would do.....But I can't help but think, what kinda schmuk will I be if I don't go to the shower that my own mom is co-hosting at her own house!?! I mean seriously?

8 comments:

  1. Go out of town with your hubby that weekend and tell them you didn't realize it was THAT weeked and you already booked and paid for your room.

    That is what I did!

    Only you know how you will feel. I was too afraid I would cry or do something stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry.. (((HUGS)))) Sometimes people just don't get how hard things are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Hugs) I am sorry. It seems like they have you backed into a corner. Don't go if you don't want to. (If you're anything like I am, you will probably go out of a sense of obligation and guilt. Bah.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh thats a tough one. I know that I skipped a few showers myself but it does make it hard on you when its at your mothers. I would still say..dont go if you dont want to. Worse case say your sick and you dont want to infect the mom-to-be. I used that one once or twice!

    Hang in there sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry hun...that stinks and I would probably be upset, as well. I don't think your mom was doing it to hurt you, though.

    I agree with the girls and the best thing to do is decline (but send a gift) and take your hubbs for a weekend getaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Go away for the weekend!

    2. Go to the shower late and leave early. You know...you have thing you need to do...

    3. Drop off a gift (or gift card) that week at your moms. Don't give an excuse on why you can't come. My Cousin in law (who is struggling with IF) did that this weekend at my SIL's shower. She just had her MIL bring her gift and no one was the wiser.


    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. (((HUGS)))

    I don't think you're over reacting. Baby showers are hard. I agree with several of the PP's suggestions.

    Katie has a good point about not having to give a reason. People miss these things all the time for all sorts of reasons. I think we get the idea in our heads (at least i do) of two or more people standing around discussing why we might not be there. Or (another thing i hate) we dread everyone talking about it a few days later & adding "oh, that's right, you weren't there". But it's really not as bad as what we may work it up to be.

    I think I'm rambling, but what I'm trying to say is not to stress yourself out over it. Do what you need to for sanity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LAME! I don't think you're overreacting at all. I'd be PISSED if my mom did that! (Then again, I'm totally an overreactor...)

    (((Hugs))) I say, who cares what anyone else thinks? Do what feels right to you.

    ReplyDelete

I prefer you to make mistakes in kindness than work miracles in unkindness. ~ Mother Teresa & me